From now to 31 December 2016, SPG is offering from 25% to 50% discount when you purchase Starpoints (with a minimum purchase of 5000 starpoints). The discount rate is at a fixed rate that varies from one spg member account to another. Hence, the higher the rate that you get, the more you should consider purchasing and redeeming it for hotel stays or transfer them to your frequent flyer program and receive additional 5000 spg bonus points on top.
a. More on this promotion
Depends on the discount rate that is being offered to you, these are the cost per Starpoints under this promotion:
25%: US$0.02625 /S$0.04*
30%: US$0.0245 / S$0.03*
35%: US$0.02275/ S$0.03*
50%: US$0.0175/ S$0.02*
*The conversion to Singapore dollars is based on the market rate on 8 nov.
To find out the discount rate that is being offered to you, click here and log into your account. It is worth noting that each member is entitled to purchase for a maximum of 30,000 Starpoints per calendar year and you must have an account that is at least 14 days old to take advantage of this promotion.
b. What to do with these starwood points
These are the three main options:
1) Transfer to your frequent flyer program and receive 5000 bonus spg point for every transfer of 20,000 spg points
2) Redeem your spg hotel stays
3) Transfer them to Marriott points at 1:3 ratio. While the best use of Marriott points may be hotel+air package, you can also redeem them for Ritz Carlton stays.
In this post, I will elaborate more on option 1.
bi. Option 1: Purchase and transfer your Starpoints to your frequent flyer program
Every 20,000 Starpoints transferred to airlines' frequent program* gives you an additional of 5000 bonus Starpoints. The conversation rates for most airlines are at 1:1 ratio. Therefore, with the purchase of 20,000 Starpoints for US$350 (50% discount rate), you will receive 25,000 airline miles (US$0.014 per miles).
*Click here to see the participating airlines and conversion rates.
To show you the value of Starpoints under this promotion, the below illustration is based US$0.014 per miles. If you are looking for a business class flight from Singapore to Hong Kong on Singapore Airlines, the final cost would be around S$488.89.
Each one-way business class flight to Hong Kong is usually priced around S$1500. Therefore, it is definitely a steal (depends on discount rates) if you take advantage of this promotion and transfer your Starpoints to lucrative frequent flyer programs. While the cap at 30,000 Starpoints may not be sufficient to redeem a return flight, you can purchase or generate free miles from multiple sources such as credit cards and etc.
You Might Also Like To Read:
FLIGHT REVIEWS & TIPS
Airbus A380: LHR - SIN
1. New Regional Business Class A330: SIN-HKG
2. The Pier Business Class Lounge & New Regional Business Class A330: HKG-ICN
1. New Economy Class Product B772: HKG-TPE
2. Old Economy Class Product A330: HKG-SIN
Short Haul Economy Class
Airbus A321: LH118 Frankfurt to Munich
New Economy Class: A350 XWB
The World Newest Aircraft Is So Amazing!
Flight Review: Qatar Airways New Economy Class.
Economy Class: B787 Dreamliner
My Love-Hate R/S with Qater Airways
Flight Review: Singapore Airlines First Class
Long Haul Business Class
When Business Class Is Almost Like First Class.
Premium Economy Class Product
Flight Review: Singapore Airlines Premium Economy Class B777-300ER: MUC-SIN
NEW Long Haul Economy Class Product
1. Singapore Airlines New Economy Class
PREVIOUS Long Haul Economy Class Product
1.What To Expect On SQ Long Haul Flight
2. Long Haul EY seat product on Airbus A330 too
Airbus A330: TPE-SIN
Regional Economy Class Product
Birthday Surprise In The Air. B777-200: SIN-BKK
1. Smart Air Traveller
2. Getting Cheapest & Most Valuable Air Ticket
3. Six Important Items To Pack Into Your Cabin Baggage
4. Discounted Business Class Fare Through American Airlines 50% Bonus Buymiles program
5. Flying Premium Class Is No Longer A Dream- Guide To Singapore's Best Credit Card For Earning Air Miles (2015)
6. Guide To Best Credit Card For Earning Miles (2016)
7. Alaska Mileage Plan Promotion (40% Bonus).
Executive Room (Dome View) & Executive Lounge
Waldorf Astoria Berlin
King Deluxe Room With View
Banyan Tree Bangkok
Vertigo & Moonbar
Pullman G Bangkok
G Deluxe Room & Executive Lounge
Swissotel Nai Lert Park
Business Executive Room
Executive Room & Executive Lounge
Conrad Centennial Hotel
Executive Room & Executive Lounge
English Afternoon Tea Buffet
Goodwood Park Hotel
1. Poolside Suite
2. L'Espresso Afternoon Tea Buffet
Grand Hyatt Singapore
AFTER 6 at 10 Scotts, Evening Buffet
Grand Mercure Roxy Hotel
1. Deluxe Room
2. Executive Room
Hotel Jen Tanglin
Premier Room & Club Lounge
Premier Harbour Room
Pan Pacific Singapore
1. Pacific Skyline Suite
2. Pacific Club Lounge
3. Sunday Champagne Brunch
Royal Plaza On Scotts
Carousel High Tea Buffet
Sofitel So Singapore
So Cosy Room
The Westin Singapore
Sea View Room
Sofitel Abu Dhabi
1. My Visual Journey: Italy Part I [Milan/Florence/Pisa]
2. Dachau Concentration Camp
3. My Visual Journey: Berlin
6 Food Places You Must Visit In Taipei